Description: The procedure of updating the UTG has changed as of the release of UTG build 2268 (3/20/2015) and 3000 (9/13/2018).
Universal Transaction Gateway
Check the merchant's Slot Configuration in Citadel for deprecated devices.
According to the UTG2_Changelog.pdf, devices and interfaces have been deprecated, after the release of UTG build 3000 (Delphi 10). If the listed interfaces and/or devices are configured in the UTG Tune-Up—and the merchant updates to a UTG build higher than 3000—the merchant will NOT be able to process on this thread or device. The merchant will receive the error message "Thread wasn't created..." when starting the UTG Standalone, or when starting the UTG service "The service has started then stopped..." (Resolve Error Message, “Thread wasn’t created” followed by the Thread Name When Starting Universal Transaction Gateway). If merchant has deprecated interfaces and/or devices, contact a technical advisor to discuss the possibility of updating the merchant's UTG to the latest Delphi 5 UTG build, 2304.
Update the UTG by downloading the UTG installer from https://www.shift4.com/downloads/utg2setup.exe. If the merchant has difficulty downloading the .exe, they may attempt the .zip instead at https://www.shift4.com/downloads/utgstubsetup.exe.
The UTG must be stopped before updating. See Start or Stop a Service with Universal Transaction Gateway for how to stop the service and Start \ Stop Stand-Alone Mode on the Universal Transaction Gateway for how to stop the standalone before proceeding to perform the update.
- Click Open when prompted or Save to save the file to your Desktop.
- Click on utg2setup.exe to run it (preferably right-click and Run as Administrator to avoid permissions issues post-install).
- You will see that the Installer detects the UTG installation and will explain that it will update the installed UTG as well as state it will uninstall the previous version.
- Click Next.
- The installer will ask you for the directory that the UTG is installed to. This will auto-populate with the installation directory; have the merchant verify that this is the current installation path for the UTG.
- Click Next.
- The installer will apply the updated files.
- If you don't need to run the UTG Tune-Up, untick Run Shift4 Tune Up and click Finish to finish the installation.
*See note below regarding UTG builds 2253 and below.
- Start the UTG Service or Stand Alone (See Start or Stop a Service with Universal Transaction Gateway or Start \ Stop Stand-Alone Mode on the Universal Transaction Gateway respectively)
Note: As of UTG build 2253, the UTG no longer stores its configuration settings (i.e. Tune-Up settings) in the registry and instead stores them in a Database file titled utg.s4d within the ...\Shift4\UTG2 folder. As a result of this change, when performing a UTG update from a version older than 2253, it is recommended to follow steps 1 through 7. When performing Step 8 however, perform the following:
- Visit Start > Programs > Shift4 Corporation > Universal Transaction Gateway > UTG Stand Alone.
- Right-click on the Stand Alone and select Run As Administrator or Run As... then select the Administrator user and enter the password.
- Allow the UTG to connect to the data center; confirm via Citadel that there are no errors or Activation Failed: Signature/GUID Mismatch.
This will ensure that the UTG is able to copy the UTG's settings from the registry and place them into the requisite file in the Shift4 folder. After this initial startup, the UTG can be run as normal as either Service or Stand Alone.
Once the above has been done verify that the Build has updated via the merchant's slot page (HTTP://citadel/slot=[serialnumber]):
Note: Enter the serial number without the [ ].
- If the UTG Standalone was opened, the merchant may then close it and start the UTG Service (see Start or Stop a Service with Universal Transaction Gateway).
This article provides the steps for manually updating the UTG Stub software to the most current version.
This is an important procedure as it allows Shift4 to help the merchant maintain PCI compliance, as well as obtain the latest UTG Stub functionality. If, at any time during troubleshooting, a tech finds that a merchant is not using the current build of the UTG Stub software it is that tech's responsibility to aid the merchant in updating the software.
To tell what UTG Stub build a merchant is currently using, have them navigate to C:\Shift4\UTG\utgstub.exe and right-click on utgstub.exe and go to properties. Have them go to the Version tab and read off the version. The last three numbers are the build number. If the customer doesn’t have a Shift4 folder in their C drive, have them try checking C:\Program Files\Shift4 Corporation\utgstub\utgstub\utgstub.exe.
To update the UTG Stub software manually, follow these steps:
Have the merchant go to their UTG Stub workstation where the PIN pad/signature capture device is located.
Ask the merchant to pull up a web browser (such as Internet Explorer or Firefox) and type the following in to the address bar: HTTP://www.shift4.com/downloads/utgstubupdate.zip. Download the file and save it to the Desktop.
- Make sure the UTG Stub (either the service or the Stand Alone program) is completely stopped. To stop the UTG Stub Stand Alone, please follow Start \ Stop Stand-Alone Mode on the Universal Transaction Gateway. To stop the UTG Stub Service, please follow Start or Stop a Service with Universal Transaction Gateway.
Double click on the newly downloaded utgstubupdate.zip file to open it.
Move the two .exe files from the .zip file to the UTG Stub folder located at ...\Shift4\UTGStub
Choose Yes to move and replace the files.
IMPORTANT Note: If the UTG Stub is still running an error will occur when trying to paste or drop the executables into the UTGStub folder. The error will indicate which executable you are trying to overwrite is still in use. The specified executable will not be overwritten.
Start the UTG Stub Service or Stand Alone, as appropriate.
Have the merchant run a test transaction.