Description: When you create a certificate using the Shift4 Certificate Generator, you will need to install it on all the windows computers that will be using a pinpad. If the certificate is not installed the connection to the pinpad will not be able to be established. Below are instructions for using Microsoft Management Console to import the certificate on a computer level. (This means the certificate will work for all users that log in to this computer)
This method can also be used to remove a certificate if needed. Some certificates will require this method if they are installed as a local machine certificate.
This requires the user to be logged in as a local admin to the computer, if the user does not have local admin access please click here for alternate instructions
- Click the Start button and type "MMC" and Run the MMC application
- In the top-left, click 'File > Add/Remove Snap-In'
- From the left frame, click "Certificates", then click "Add" in the center.
- Choose "Computer Account" and click the "Next" button.
- Choose "Local Computer" and click the "Finish" button.
- It will return you to the Snap-Ins window. Confirm it added "Certificates (Local Computer) under Console Root on the right side, and click OK.
- Click the drop-down next to "Certificates (Local Computer)", then click the drop-down next to "Trusted Root Certification Authorities". Right-click on the "Certificates" folder underneath and choose "All Tasks | Import..."
- Complete the certificate import as you normally would.
- Once the import is complete, you can close the MMC window. If it asks to save the settings, you may choose "No".