Verify that your computer has the latest Windows Service Packs and Critical Updates.
Validate Windows 7, 8.1, and 10:
Validate Windows 7, 8.1, and 10
- Click the Windows Start button.
- In the search field, enter Sysinfo and press Enter to launch the system information menu.
- The System Summary menu contains the installed build details.
- Windows 7 (6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601)
- Windows 8.1 (6.3.9600 Build 9600)
- Windows 10 (10.0.1903 Build 1903) (as of April 9, 2019)
Update Windows 7, 8.1, and 10 Operating System
- Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button in the lower-left corner. In the search box, type Update, and then, in the list of results, click either Windows Update or Check for updates.
- Click the Check for updates button and then wait while Windows looks for the latest updates for your computer.
- If you see a message telling you that important updates are available, or review important updates, click the message to view and select the important updates to install.
- In the list, click the important updates for more information. Select the checkboxes for any updates that you want to install, and then click OK.
- Click Install updates.
Important: Do not shut your computer off or allow it to run out of battery during the update process. Doing so can cause a corruption of the operating system, which can often only be fixed by reformatting the computer.