Description: To ensure proper communication flow and transaction processing, you must add Shift4 Software as exceptions to the Windows Firewall. Complete this process for each PC with installed Shift4 Software.
|Software||Default Directory and File Names|
|Universal Transaction Gateway (UTG)||
UTG2svc.exe (Background Service)
UTG2.exe (Stand Alone)
UTGStubsvc.exe (Background Service)
UTGStub.exe (Stand Alone)
To add the UTG as an Exception in Windows Firewall in Windows 7:
- Go to Start>Settings>Control Panel.
- Open Windows Firewall (If you are in Category View, select "System and Security" to find Windows Firewall).
- Click Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall on the left.
- Check to see if the UTG is listed in the Allowed Programs window.
- If only one program is listed, make sure it's selected (check box in the far left) and move on to Step 5.
- If both programs are listed, ensure both are selected and have checkmarks in all relevant boxes (Domain, Home, Public, Group).
- If neither are listed, move on to Step 5.
- Click Change Settings, then click Allow another program...
- In the Add a Program window, click Browse...
- Navigate to the directory that stores the files, select the program that needs to be added, and then click Open.
- Click Add.
- Ensure the file that you added is checked (Enabled) in the list of programs in exceptions.
- Repeat steps 5-9 to add other Shift4 Applications as needed.
To add the UTG as an Exception in Windows Firewall in Windows 8.1:
Before you begin: (pick one)
- Metro interface: Type "Control Panel" on the metro home screen; no entry selection is needed. A search field will populate on the right, and an option of the control panel will show. Select this once it populates on the list.
- Desktop interface: You can locate the Control panel by right-clicking the start button on the desktop environment and selecting this from the list that appears.
- Once the Control Panel is open, change to small icons on this list up at the top. This will show all options in the Control Panel. Then select the Windows Firewall option on this list.
- Select the option of Allow Another App or Feature Through The Windows Firewall on the left.
- Click the Change Settings option at the top right, then select Yes.
- Select Allow Another App at the bottom of the page.
- This opens a list of apps the windows software detects, then select Browse PC.
- Navigate to the directory where you installed the Shift4 software and locate the Shift4 folder and open it. There are two Shift4 executable files in the UTG2 or UTGStub folder.
- Add each executable to the firewall. You need to do this process twice, once for each executable.
- Once these are added to the master list, you will be looking at the allowed apps screen. You want to ensure both executables are checked. This enables them in the firewall.
- You then need to select where the apps are allowed to access in all instances. Only Private should be selected.
- Select OK at the bottom of the page. This completes adding the UTG services to the windows 8.1 firewall exceptions.
To add the UTG as an Exception in Windows Firewall in Windows 10:
- Open the Start Menu and select Settings.
- Next, select Network & Internet, then Select Ethernet, then select Windows Firewall.
- Once the firewall is open, you need to unlock/override access with an admin user to edit this page. Select the Change Settings option at the top right, then select Yes.
- Select Allow Another App at the bottom of the page. This will open a list of apps. Select the Browse The PC.
- Navigate to the directory where you installed the Shift4 software, locate the Shift4 folder, and then open it.
- There are two files for the UTG or UTG Stub listed here. Add each to the firewall exceptions. You need to do this process twice, once for each application.
- Once these are added to the app list, you will be looking at the allowed apps screen. You want to ensure both apps are (checked) enabled in the firewall.
- You then need to select where the apps are allowed to access in all instances. Only Private should be selected. You would then select OK at the bottom of the page. This completes adding the UTG services to the Windows 10 Firewall exceptions.